I have been full of Christmas cheer since halfway through November, so I’m very excited for the Christmas tags to start flying out. I saw this on Wendy’s (@whatthelogsaid) blog today so I’ve voluntarily tagged myself for this, despite never being able to remember any books or characters to pick from!
1. “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch”: Name a villainous character you couldn’t help but love.
This one is really difficult as I don’t think I’ve really read many books with clear-cut villains recently. Everyone has kind of ended up being morally gray. The only one I can come up with is Wednesday from American Gods, I don’t know if I would say I *love* him but he is certainly a very enjoyable villainous character.
2. “All I Want for Christmas is You”: Which book do you most hope to see under your Christmas tree?
As usual, I have asked for a number of books this year as I don’t often get to buy myself books throughout the year. It’s hard to choose one I *most* want, but it’s probably ‘Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View‘.
3. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”: Name a character that overcomes major obstacles and learns to believe in themselves.
I just got done with Jane Eyre so I’ll probably go for her. Although I didn’t love the ending or the romance element of the book, I think it’s such a powerful representation of early feminism and how Jane overcomes everything in her life to become an independent woman.
4. “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”:
a) Which character do you think would be on the top of the naughty list?
Definitely Jeanine Matthews, leader of the Erudite faction from the Divergent series. She is getting a huge bag of coal for Christmas!
b) Which character do you think would be at the top of the nice list?
Dr. Chef from The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. Dr. Chef is just so squishy, so comforting and just an all-around pure angel baby. I would give them alllllll of the presents if I was Santa.
5. “Frosty the Snowman”: Which book just melts your heart?
Without a doubt, The Long Way Way… It is not only my favorite book that I’ve read this year (and one of my faves overall), but it is SO SQUISHY and SO CUTE and SO WARMING. I love everything about it and makes my heart joyful.
6. “Feliz Navidad”: Choose a book that takes place in a country other than your own.
I think most of the books I’ve read recently don’t take place in my country – most seem to be in America! I’m going to choose The Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir though as it’s such a beautiful book.
7. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”: Which holiday-themed book do you use to spread the Christmas joy?
I am TERRIBLE with themed books. I can’t really think of any holiday-themed that I even own, let alone one that I use to spread Christmas joy…
8. “Sleigh Ride”: Which fictional character would you choose to spend the holidays with (doesn’t have to be a love interest!)
This one might be cheating a little bit (because it’s not a book), but I can’t resist. Definitely Dorian Pavus from Dragon Age Inquisition. He just needs to be in my life. He’s beautiful, and sassy, and everything I want for Christmas.
9. “Baby it’s Cold Outside”: Which book that you didn’t like would you sacrifice to a fire to warm yourself up in the cold?
In terms of books I’ve read this year, it would probably be the La Belle Sauvage because, to be honest, all that book is good for is feeding a fire. But in terms of books overall, probably something like 50 Shades of Grey because it was so terrible and I hate that it became a popular thing.
10. “Do you hear what I hear”: Which book do you think everyone should read?
I know I’ve mentioned it several times now but without a doubt, it would be The Long Way…, as well as the second book in the Wayfarer series A Closed and Common Orbit. It is the one book I think I will always recommend everyone should read – it’s superbly written, got the most lovable and diverse characters, and has excellent world building. It is everything I’ve ever wanted in a book and more!
If you enjoyed this Christmassy book tag, please consider yourself tagged! Let me know what your answers are ❤