I didn’t have a book tag planned for today but after seeing this one on Norrie and Kristin‘s blogs, I really wanted to do it. Sometimes book tags can end up feeling all the same but I liked that these questions were a bit different – so here are my answers!
Three Read Once and Loved Authors
There are so many books and authors I could include here. I’ve been really lucky this year so read many fantastic books by new-to-me authors who I fell in love with so picking only 3 was difficult. These 3 are ones I read recently though that really stuck out in my mind and solidified the authors as auto-buy authors for me!
Three Titles I’ve Watched But Haven’t Read
Return of the King – I managed to read all of the other books up until this one but it was a very painful process which I didn’t enjoy and by the time I got to RotK I just couldn’t force myself any further.
I Am Legend – I tried to read the book shortly after the film but it was just so different that I gave up very quickly. A grumpy white man who stomps around grizzling all the time? No thanks.
Les Mis – I think it’s safe to say I have never and will never read Les Mis. Love the film but… I’m not going to subject myself to that long ass book!
Three Characters You Love
Xandri from the Xandri Corelel series – I’ve spoken before about how damn much I love Xandri. An autistic woman who is the head of Xeno-Liaisons and one of the realest depictions of autism I’ve ever seen, plus she is kick ass as hell and I adore everything about her.
AIDAN from The Illuminae Files – There are so many characters I love in this series (yes hello Nik) but I have to choose AIDAN because it’s definitely one of my all time favourite AI’s.
Star from THUG – I mean, who doesn’t love Star?! She is amazing and everything I aspire to be.
Three Series’ Binged
The Tensorate Series – I literally just finished binging this series and it is so good. I finished the last one at 2.30am last night and it was so worth it.
His Dark Materials – I binged these as a teenager because I literally could not put the books down. I adored the world, the characters and was so enraptured by the story. I still love the series now.
Game of Thrones – Oh boy, did I binge this series. I binged it to the point where I became so saturated with GoT’s that I couldn’t read the last books I had at the time (A Dance with Dragons) or have anything to do with the tv show. So, lesson learned – sometimes binging can be very bad.
Three Unpopular Bookish Opinions
Most of the time “unpopular opinions” aren’t very unpopular but we’ll see how it goes :’)
- I hate seeing huge bookshelves in Instagram pictures crammed full of books because I know that, often (not always!), most of those books haven’t actually been read and it makes me very sad to see so many unread books.
- I have a special bitterness reserved for book box rep searches. It really brushes me up the wrong way to see the same people being chosen over and over again – people who are clearly very well off, who have professional cameras, thousands of followers, expensive accessories and hundreds of books already. “Winners won’t be chosen based on followers” my backside.
- I really dislike the way that a lot of #ownvoice authors have been treated lately with “diverse” book bloggers slamming their books because they don’t achieve a perfectly representative book or make a marginal error in the rep of one character. I feel that popular non-#ownvoice authors get so much more support and are allowed to get away with literally not trying in terms of rep!
How did I do? xD
Three Current Favourite Book Covers
These are the three covers that I currently have on display on the bookshelves in our front room and they are all so beautiful.
Three Goals for the Year
- Blogging – upgrade my WordPress account and completely redesign my book to make it look nicer and more professional
- Reading – Read more of the 112 books I currently own and less library books!
- Wellbeing – Make more time for things I enjoy outside of reading, like creative writing, and actually start leaving the house more often. I struggle a lot with low-level agoraphobia that I find very hard to admit and talk about, and its something I want to get help with this year